In the summer months, you can find Zurich natives in one of two places: either in the water or on the water. We’re following their lead and sending the pear, which is native to Switzerland, for a swim – in a cocktail glass. The inspiration for a drink with depth.
Outside of Switzerland, Zurich is primarily known as a banking city. But that’s just a boring cliché. What most people don’t know: in the summer, this city turns into a paradise of rivers and lakes for swimmers. Zurich is home to around 25 different swimming locations along the Limmat river and around Lake Zurich. Or, as the locals call them, “Badis”. There’s always a cool, clear place to swim nearby, and the locals are sure to have a towel tucked under their arms – no matter if those arms are clothed in a business suit, designer dress or a simple T-shirt. You can always find time for a quick dip: before work, after work, or maybe even during your lunch break.
The pear-fect combination
Ready for a swim at a moment’s notice? That’s an impressive feat. And it’s what inspired our newest espresso cocktail, Along the Limmat. Luckily, no one will be dipping their toes into this drink, and at-home mixologists won’t need to stir in water from the closest river. Instead, we invite you to dive into a delicious mixture of amaretto, Agent’s Choice Espresso, vodka – and pear.
The pear is native to Switzerland and makes a splash in this drink in two ways: firstly as a pear syrup, which gives the Along the Limmat its fruity, slightly sweet flavour, and also in the form of a sliced pear garnish, which bobs directly in the drink. The garnish may not change the flavour much, but it makes sure this cocktail looks good enough to drink ... or something like that. But before we get to the decoration, we need to start out by mixing the drink.
Ingredients for an Along the Limmat:
10 ml amaretto
15 ml pear syrup
40 ml vodka
25 ml Agent’s Choice Espresso
Ingredients for the pear syrup:
100 g pear
100 g white sugar
100 ml water
5 minutes for the drink, 15 minutes plus resting time for the pear syrup
A cocktail shaker, a strainer, a sharp knife or peeler, a whiskey glass or tumbler, a pot, a jam glass or glass bottle
Preparing the pear syrup:
1) Peel the pear and cut it into large cubes.
2) Combine the pear cubes and the sugar in a pot and cook until the pears have softened. Add the water and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
3) Once the mixture thickens, remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool.
4) Pour the mixture through a strainer into a jam glass or a small bottle. The syrup can be kept in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
Preparing an Along the Limmat:
1) Combine all the ingredients with a few ice cubes in the cocktail shaker.
2) Close the shaker and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
3) Pour the drink through the strainer into a whiskey glass with ice, and garnish with a slice of pear.
4) Finish with a splash of mineral water.
Whether there’s a “Badi” nearby or not, our Along the Limmat is a refreshing drink for hot summer days, anywhere, any time.